Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Hiking

Yea! Daddy was home for the long Thanksgiving weekend. Mommy had to go to work Friday so it was a daddy-daughter day in the woods! We drove up to Withlacooche State Forest and went for a nice hike. I've gone on lots of hikes in parks closer to home, but this was my longest hike yet: 8 1/2 miles!

Here I am taking a little lunch break.

Most of you have seen pictures of me in my backpack but this gives you a wider view. It has a cool little kickstand so it stands up on its own. Daddy was shopping for new backpacks that were surprisingly expensive, but he found this one on Craigslist for $20!

Here is a nice scene that shows one of the habitats we walked through. We saw a turkey near here. Pretty relaxing, huh?

The peaceful scenery, the rhythm of Daddy walking and the sounds of the forest were enough to convince me to take a few naps. Or maybe it was Daddy talking about pine flatwoods, cypress domes and the differences between hydric and xeric oak hammocks. Daddy brought along a soft shirt just so I could have a pillow. This is one of Daddy's favorite pictures of all time.

Come on Dad, I'm trying to sleep.

I'm getting pretty good at walking, but I don't think I'm ready for hiking on my own yet. It sure is nice having a PDTS (Personal Daddy Transportation System). Thanks for spending your day in the woods with me Daddy.

No comments: